Stories of Places
If walls could talk
Many of you will recognise this imposing stone house, Beechwood, which is at the top of Lakes Road leading down to the Roman Lakes. However, why was such a fine house built so near to Oldknow’s workers cottages at Stone Row and who lived in it? Documents in the Archives and the census returns can answer some of these questions and provide a fascinating insight into the lives of those who lived there over one hundred years ago.
‘Christmas comes but once a year.’ And the year is 1951. Dusting off the sheet, and gently lifting a corner, what surprises await us as we gaze down through 65 years?
Back to the time when a three-bedroom semi could be bought for £750, on an average wage of just over £10 per week. For this you would work 42 hours, in contrast to the average today of 32 hours. Rationing was still in force in 1951; people could still buy only 10d. (4p) worth of meat each week. Pensioners made up 6pc. of the population, today the figure stands at 14pc. In 1952 the number of people celebrating their 100th birthday was just 300, now the figure is close to 15,000. (left, a little licence taken, Manchester City Centre crowded with Christmas shoppers on a wet Saturday December afternoon. 19th December 1959)
Marple has five nationally important buildings, listed by English Heritage as either Grade 1 or Grade II* One of these is Old Manor Farm, tucked away above the Marple Brook which runs in the valley near Dan Bank. Described by Pevsner as 'a small medieval manor house, the central part timber-framed, probably 15th century, with a two-bay hall of cruck construction. Later wings were added, the service wing of stone, the other half-timber.' Its importance was recognised in 1951 when it was featured in Cheshire Life as one of the “Homes of Cheshire”.
(left: Old Manor Farm at Dan Bank, 1981)
Read the article from the Cheshire Life
A story that comes courtesy of Marple Historical Society.The Marple in Pennsylvania, which had a population in 2010 of 23,478,and area of 10.5 square miles whilst Marple’s, Cheshire population in 2011 was 23,686 in an area of 11 square miles, almost identical twins ! Marple Township, Delaware County, originates from 1684, on the 29th September 1863; Quakers had settled the county Delaware after sailing along the River Delaware, in the ship Endeavor.
The following article is taken from the Spring-Summer issue of the Marple Historical Society newsletter, not to be confused with the Marple Local History Society.Special thanks to Rich Paul of Marple Historical Society.
The catalyst for 'Tale of Two Torrents' article, in the archive story section, was a flyer from 1911, donated to the archive. Printed on glossy paper, the photographic block used in its production is quoted as being made by Highams Ltd., Hyde. A piece of ephemera, ephemera can be be defined as ''the minor transient documents of everyday life'. It can also be described as material which is not intended to survive its immediate purpose or which exists for only a short time. The origin of this flyer is not known, a present for Christmas 1911, a review of the year included in a paper ?