Postmarked 1910, Marple Station Ambulance Class. We do not know their names or what work they did. 4 years later, some of these men would enlist to fight for ‘king and country’. At the height of Marple Station’s operation, the Station Master was in charge of a staff of 40, with 15 men on duty at any one time. Each day up to 250 trains were using the line. About half stopped at the station and it was possible to catch direct trains from Marple to London Marylebone or St Pancras. Links to more photos - Marple Station with a steam train arriving / A view of Marple Station on Brabyns Brow / A steam train in Marple Station / A ghostly image of Marple Station / Marple Station entrance to Marple Station, late 1960s / The official reopening of Marple Station on 28 October 1970
If you are interested in learning more, Society member, Neil Mullineux has written a book: 'Marple and the Railways' price £4. View more deails on the publication's webpage
Written on the back: ‘Done by Mr Davies at Brabyns Aug 1913 of Richard and his nurse’. Richard (b1911) was the younger brother of the author Christopher Isherwood (b1904). Their father, Francis, a professional soldier, was killed during WWI. In 1940 Christopher inherited Marple Hall and Wybersley Hall from his uncle Henry and subsequently gave the estates to Richard. For many years Richard and his mother Kathleen lived at Wybersley Hall. In the 1939 Register, Richard was living at Wybersley Hall Farm, occupation ‘agricultural assistant’. Link to more photos - Wybersley Hall, home to Bradshaws and Isherwoods, Wybersley Hall 1960s, Wybersley Hall 1981, House opposite Wybersley Hall 1981, Wybersley Hall 1996
Stone from the Ridge quarry was used for the construction of many houses in Marple during the 19th century. Abandoned in the early years of the 20th century, it was a venue for concerts and music festivals such as this one, held in 1909. Ridge Quarry Music Festival Photos (a), Photo (b), and Photo (c)
Richard Sheridan’s play ‘The Rivals’ was the first production staged by Marple Dramatic Society in 1906. Without a permanent home, plays were performed at various local venues, including church halls and Shepley Hall (the Conservative Club). After WW1 the Carver Recreation Club, known as the Carver Institute, became their permanent home. Carver Theatre website history page.
An unnamed ladies’ hockey team…interesting team strip and I love the hair-styles. - a photo of the ladies in action can be seen if you follow the link: Ladies who play
Staff members photographed outside the stables at Marple Bridge Co-op. The Marple Bridge store, which included offices, stables and a bakery, opened in 1893 and became the main centre and head office of the Compstall Co-operative Industrial Society Ltd. It closed 80 years later and the stables were subsequently demolished to make way for new houses.
Hilary Atkinson, October 2019