Welcome to the Marple Local History Society website
Visit the online Society Archives here
"Oswald Carver hardly knew what he was starting when he built a gymnasium in Chadwick Street, Marple in 1898.
He thought he was founding a Lads' Club to keep the working class boys of Marple off the streets (and out of the pubs) and help them build strong and healthy bodies. It is not quite clear whether Carver succeeded in his ultimate aim, which was to breed "healthy minds" inside all those healthy little bodies. Meanwhile, in 1906 a small group of lively and presumably healthy-minded people was founding the Marple Dramatic Society."
Read more at A History of the Carver Theatre
Next Meeting 19th February: ‘A Mayor in Chains’ - Neil Mullineux
Elsewhere: January 2018 - Stockport Museums Highlights
There is an unusual building on Church Lane, close to the tower of the old Georgian church. To be precise it is two buildings, roughly joined together at a slight angle and presenting four pointed-arch bays to the road. Although there are architectural differences, both buildings are built of dressed stone with separate graduated split-stone roofs.
The larger of the two buildings is now used as a domestic dwelling but it is not too difficult to work out what it was. It was built by John Bradshaw-Isherwood of Marple Hall to accommodate his coach and horses whilst he was attending services at what was then a new church.........