Welcome to Marple Local History Society website
Quick links to the Society's Online Archives & many of the Society's images
The Iron Bridge is one of a very few cast iron bridges surviving from the period when it was built, in 1813, for the then owner of the Brabyns Estate, Nathaniel Wright. Its purpose was as a carriage bridge across the River Goyt, creating access to Wright's estate from the village of Compstall. The bridge was one of the world's first cast iron bridges and is one of the few remaining from the period.
The Iron Bridge was deemed to be dangerous in 1991 and a temporary "Bailey" type footbridge was installed to carry pedestrians, horse riders and cyclists over the River Goyt. The restoration project started in 2003 and works to restore the bridge started in September 2007. The restored bridge was opened on the 22nd June 2008.
Next Meeting: 11th December:
Claire Moores - 'Chimney Stacks and Climbing Boys: the art and mystery of Chimney Sweeping'
A full list of this season's meetings is here.