A Natural History of Ludworth and Mellor
A detailed examination of the flora of the area and its historical development.
Author: Tony Smith and Ron Weston.
Published: New Mills Natural History Society, 2009.
A4 booklet, 63 pages,40 illustrations.
- A detailed examination of the flora of the area and its historical development
- Physical background
- Origins of woodland and hedgerows
- Roman & Anglo-Saxon influence
- The Lyme
- Domesday & after
- Common lands and Royal Forests
- Samuel Oldknow’s estate
- Woodland indicators
- Open space
- Boundaries, fences and walls
- Water courses
- Inland rocks
A wide-ranging study of all aspects of the environment, tracing its development over time and the influence of such factors as climate, geology, soils and, above all, Man. It then goes on to study and record in detail the most common flora and fauna in the area, the work of numerous volunteers over a period of three years.